Sunday, July 13, 2008

Burger Time

I'm a vegetarian. Sorta. Ok, I used to be a vegetarian. (Seriously, I upheld a strict vegan diet for 4 years). But nowadays, I like splurging on a nice seafood dinner and whenever I travel, I throw my vegetarianism out the window and indulge in that country's/region's/state's local foods. So I guess I should say I curb the amount of red meat I eat.

But lately I've been on a bit of a burger craze. A few months ago I ate at Burger Shoppe and just last week I had some tasty burgers at Greenwich Steak & Burger Co. in Tribeca. Neither of them blew my mind, but they were both very good and I'm sure at one point or another this summer I'll be back for more.

Burger Shoppe was hard to get to (it's tucked away in Wall Street), but eating at the restaurant was worth the trek. They have an "old fashioned" counter that makes you feel like you've stepped into a time warp. The burgers were on the small side, but good and juicy. Greenwich Steak & Burger is a bit more modern. They have a good selection of burgers (kobe burgers, classic burgers, stuffed burgers) and they make a killer milkshake. I wasn't too wild about the buns tho. They didn't taste as fresh as I would've liked. They're also a bit pricier than Burger Shoppe (dinner for two at Shoppe tops out at around $30 whereas Greenwich flirts with $75 — altho the latter price includes sliders and dessert).

So I guess you can say I'm temporarily an omnivore again. One who's on a quest for a good, classic hamburger.

No comments: