Monday, September 15, 2008

Italian Class

I've always wanted to learn a third language and starting today, it looks like I might. At least that's what I hope. Jeff C., Jeff S., and I are each gonna learn Italian using three different language programs. The details are all here. I'll be using Pimsleur Italian Basic, which requires 30 minutes of practice a day. This should be interesting 'cause technically I've never taken a language course.

You see, I grew up speaking English and Spanish at home so by the time I got to high school, I was able to take AP Spanish literature and grammar (yes, I was a geek). I was such a geek that my language requirement in college got waived. So I don't know how hard or easy it is to learn a new language.

Spanish and Italian are very similar, so my personal goal for next month is to be able to watch the Italian news channel and fully understand what they're saying. Or at the very least, be able to read an Italian newspaper. Considering neither of us speaks Italian, it'll be interesting to see which program is the friendliest to use and which one teaches the most.

(image via Flickr)

2 comments:

tonefour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louis said...

Yeah, I almost feel like I'm cheating, 'cause the two languages are so similar. But I have to hand it to Pimsleur, their CDs are very easy to follow and keep up with. I was afraid they'd be boring or too repetitive. So far so good!