Thursday, October 1, 2009

Duracell myGrid First Impression

So I started playing around with the new Duracell myGrid Wireless Power Pad. The way it works is — you plug the myGrid pad into a wall outlet, put one of the Duracell PowerSleeves on your gadget (there are sleeves for the BB Curve, iPhone, etc), and then you place your gadget on the pad to charge wirelessly. If you have an old handheld, the myGrid comes with mini USB adapters that you plug into your device before laying it on the pad. We're comparing the myGrid to the PowerMat (still waiting for that to arrive) and so far I like the myGrid, but noticed a few things.

1)There's no way you can charge 4 gadgets at a time on the myGrid pad. Unless they're extremely small gadgets. Just look at how much space my Motorola Q takes.

2)I haven't done a timed test yet, but it feels like it's taking longer to charge my cellphone on the myGrid than with a regular adapter.

3)It shocked me! Not a huge shock, but I felt a sharp sting when I went to move the pad to the corner of my desk (while charging my Q). The manual says it's supposed to instantly turn off if you touch it. Which it did. But after I got shocked. (To be fair, that could've been static electricity on my part.)

UPDATE: It was static electricity on my part. Tried touching the pad again while it was charging a phone and nothing happened. (Aside from the pad shutting itself down when it came in contact with my hand.)

No comments: