Friday, October 30, 2009

Motorola DROID quick pros/cons

So we got a review unit of the Motorola DROID here at dealnews! (Our first impressions are here.) I've spent a good amount of time with the phone now and I gotta say, it's pretty damn cool. Android 2.0 is fast, Web browsing is actually enjoyable, the screen is awesome — I can go on. So here's a quick pros & cons list I've come up with so far:

Pros:
* Huge, bright screen makes it easy to touch/tap on icons/virtual buttons
* Virtual keyboard is very responsive and keeps up w/ the speed of your typing
* Verizon's 3G network has excellent coverage here in NYC/NJ area (Web pages like CNN and dealnews load in abt 5 secs)
* Google Maps Navigation Beta looks awesome (haven't used in a car yet, but I've played around w/ it)
* Verizon didn't bog down their phone w/ Verizon bloatware
* Verizon kept the Wi-Fi
* Battery life seems pretty good under heavy Web use
* It's difficult to hit the power button (this is a good thing since that's the first step in unlocking your phone)
* Web browsing is enjoyable — i.e. no errors loading pages


Cons:
* The QWERTY keyboard is meh (small chiclet keys all scrunched up next to each other)
* Motorola gave the DROID an HTC-like "chin" which forces you to extend your right thumb when typing on the QWERTY keyboard. It's a flat chin (unlike the G1's), but still a stupid chin
* The four navigation keys at the bottom of the phone are awkwardly placed — sometimes when I'm just holding the phone (like if I'm watching a YouTube clip) the palm of my hand accidentally hits a button (this is a very nit-picking con, not a deal breaker)

8 comments:

Jeff M said...

Your blog looked lonely w/o any comments. I will buy a droid when it comes out next wk.

Anonymous said...

it will be interesting to see if the Droid lives up to all the hype; it seems like every major new smartphone that comes out claims to be an "iPhone killer"

Louis said...

@planetjeffy
I'm using an old Moto Q at the moment. I will def be upgrading to the Droid as well.

@psoriasisguru
You can't help but compare any new smartphone to the iPhone. I think the Droid and the rumored HTC Eris will push the Android OS out into the open. 'Bout time the competition got interesting.

James said...

Great review, Louis - and I agree, the iPhone needs this kind of aggressive competition. Apple's too comfortable these days - and the last update to the iPhone was pretty uneventful. If they stay on the same release schedule, they're going to need to bring the heat in June.

I currently have an HTC Hero, and I'm pretty annoyed by its lack of processing power and battery life. I plan to return it and pick up (maybe even pre-order) the DROID soon. I may have to wait until after Sony Ericsson's announcement on Tuesday, though.

Louis said...

@James
Wow, that's surprising. A lot of ppl like the Hero. I haven't spent much time w/ it myself, but it's prob the only HTC phone I like. (I'm not an HTC fan at all.)

Used the Droid non-stop over the wkd. Still loving it. Google Nav Beta is awesome. Will post a quick review of the app on Monday.

Jack said...

Louis--

why do you think they put those worthless capacative touch-haptic buttons on the phone instead of real, clickable buttons? I assume they are no better than the ones on the LG chocolate, and I have never seen the point of them...

Jack said...

Despite my earlier comment about those buttons, I am 90percent sure I am replacing my Tmob G1 with one of these on Friday. I probably would have ended up a loyal iphone user, except that AT&T's network is so bad in San Francisco (San Francisco!) that it's not worth having one. Verizon's old CDMA network however is great, so I sure am glad they are finally going to have a worthwhile smartphone.

Louis said...

@Jack
The more I use it, the less I like the haptic buttons on the DROID. My guess is Moto placed them there to please both the "touch" fans and ppl who like "feedback buttons." You need the buttons there since they let you go "back" and bring up menus/options etc.

I would've preferred real clickable buttons to be honest. Every now and then when I hold the phone in portrait mode, my hand brushes up against one of those haptic buttons and brings up a window I didn't want. Small annoyance.