Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Smartphone Shopping

My smartphone is dying a slow death. It's the Motorola Q. I got it when it came out back in 2005. (It boasted Windows Mobile 5, how could I say no!) So last night I noticed my texts were stalling. The screen would freeze and they wouldn't send. It turns out my phone was freezing because I have every text I've ever sent and received since 2007. It's now 2009. I text a lot. So I started to manually delete texts. (If I do a "delete all," my phone crashes.) Like I said, I need a new smartphone. Here's what I'm thinking.

Option One: I wait for Verizon's new (and first) Droid phone. I like Android and I'd love an Android phone, but something tells me this one is gonna suck. Still, I'm curious.

Option 2: BlackBerry Tour. Awesome smartphone, only thing stopping me is that it's chunky. If it were the Curve, I'd be all over it.

Option 3: Walmart and StraightTalk just announced a partnership and they're offering a no-contract, $45 unlimited everything plan. That includes text, minutes, data, the works. That's amazing and VERY tempting, but I don't know anyone who can vouch for StraightTalk, although it's supposed to be reliable since it uses Verizon's network. Here's how my current plan and StraightTalk match up price-wise:

Verizon Family: $150/mo for 700 any-time minutes, 5MB/mo, unlimited text. (Contract)
StraightTalk: $45/mo unlimited everything. (No contract)

It sounds like a no-brainer — even with two StraightTalk plans it's still cheaper, but I'm hesitant on StraightTalk. So I think I'm gonna wait till this Droid business is resolved (I believe it's supposed to debut at the end of the month) and dig deeper into the StraightTalk / Walmart deal. I'm very open to it if I hear good things. Either way, my goal is to have a new phone come November.

UPDATE: So I checked in with StraightTalk. Turns out you have to use a StraightTalk phone to be a part of the plan. And the *3* phones they offer are the suckiest, crappiest, ugliest things you've ever seen. I might as well just make calls from a paper cup. I guess I'll wait for the Droid.

No comments: