Tuesday, November 3, 2009

DROID keyboard

I despise the DROID's QWERTY keyboard. I can't say it enough. I despise it. I understand why Motorola included it. It was smart trying to please both sides of the camp (virtual vs real keyboard fans), but man they fell asleep at the wheel with this one 'cause it's probably one of the worst keyboards I've ever used.


1)The keys are small. You have to type with your fingernail.
2)The keys are squishy. Meaning when you type, you don't get an audible click. Just a squishy sound. As a result, it's easy to think you pressed a key, when in reality you didn't.
3)When you press a key, you can see the keys surrounding that key flex a little.
4)When typing, your right thumb must reach out over some dead space (highlighted in my pic above) to reach the keys on the left.

Fortunately, the DROID's virtual keyboard is awesome. In portrait mode, it's easy to make mistakes 'cause the keys are a bit tight. It's still useable, but I personally prefer the virtual keyboard in landscape mode. I also like that in either mode, you can type as fast as you want and the DROID keeps up with you.

How does it compare to the iPhone/iPod touch's virtual keyboard? Well, here's a side-by-side pic of what the keys look like in portrait mode and in landscape mode. That's a 1G iPod touch there btw. The iPod has slightly bigger virtual keys. Just a smidgen. The iPod also has spacing in between the keys, which makes a huge difference. That's not to say the DROID's keyboard is horrible, because it's not. It'll just take a little getting used to. For me, it's been under a week and I've already gotten used to it.

So the bottom line: physical keyboard is a train wreck. Virtual keyboard gets the thumbs up and should be an easy adjustment if you're coming from an iPhone.

No comments: