Friday, January 8, 2010

CES: MSI does dual touch-screen laptops

You're looking at MSI's 10" dual touchscreen laptop prototype. The bottom half works as a touch-sensitive keyboard while the top half works as a touch-sensitive display. On paper, I think this is awesome. Who wouldn't want a dual touchscreen laptop? But seeing it locked up in it's glass chamber there I started thinking — what the hell would I use this for? Isn't a tactile keyboard so much better? For reading digital magazines or online newspapers, yeah, it's cool. But aside from that, I couldn't think of any other real-world uses for it.

That said, I did like it's smaller sibling here which has two 7" touch-screens. Don't ask me why, but I could see myself working with this one. Maybe the smaller form factor sold me.

Both of them would be built around Intel's Atom processor, so don't get any fancy streaming ideas 'cause we all know how that would turn out. Both also feature SSD drives instead of hard disk drives. Like I said, they're concept products, so no word on when or if these will ever see the light of day. But the fact that these are based around the Atom processor makes them pretty useless in my opinion.

No comments: