Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hands-on w/ the Nexus One

I cheated on my Droid last night. And you know what. It was worth it. Don't get me wrong. I love the Droid. But after a few minutes with the Nexus, I just don't think the Droid and I were meant for each other.

The Nexus is physically gorgeous. It's so much lighter than the Droid, but yet it doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. I'm not saying the Droid is fat or cheap, but after holding a Nexus in your hands you realize no phone should weigh over 5 ounces.

The Nexus kinda resembles the Hero/Eris to be honest. It has a tiny trackball below the touch-sensitive buttons and that's really it. Think of the Nexus as the Droid's sexier, skinnier cousin.

The Nexus is also noticeably faster. The Droid isn't slow, but thumb around the Nexus' interface and you'll notice the speed bump. And you should. There's a 1GHz Snapdragon processor in there. That's the fastest smartphone processor out there period. It's faster than my first computer! (An Apple Performa 637CD fyi.)

The screen is the same size on the Nexus as it is on the Droid, but colors seemed to pop out more on the Nexus than on the Droid. (The Nexus' screen is AMOLED, not so for the Droid.)

I guess what I'm saying is — the Nexus has won me over. If not for the Droid's useless QWERTY keyboard, I probably wouldn't have looked at the Nexus. But HTC has done an amazing job and by bringing it to Verizon, Google has found my weak spot.


Nexus One
Weight: 4.5 oz
Display: 3.7" WVGA AMOLED 800x480
Camera: 5MP, 2x digital zoom w/ LED flash
Keyboard: Virtual

Motorola Droid
Weight: 6 oz
Display: 3.7" WVGA 480x854
Camera: 5PM, 4x digital zoom w/ dual LED flash
Keyboard: Virtual & slide-out QWERTY

No comments: