Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend Picks #10

Tomorrow May Never Come
So this past weekend I watched my second Bollywood film, Tomorrow May Never Come (Kal Ho Naa Ho). In an nutshell, it's a movie about two guys who fall in love with the same girl. Sounds very cliche, but this is unlike any Hollywood film I've seen. It has a great story line, lots of twists, and it quickly goes from a light hearted comedy to a somewhat melancholic drama. (I personally like movies like that.)

It's long. 3 hours long. And it has lots of music in it, which I would normally hate, but oddly I seem to enjoy it in this movie. In fact, I liked all of the music scenes. Highly recommend it. Just one caveat. I didn't like the first 20 minutes of the movie. It was shot in a style reminiscent of Family Guy with lots of quick cuts and flashbacks. It made the movie feel....irreverent. Oddly, the director only does that for the first 20 minutes.

Summer Hours
I didn't hate this movie, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to many people. (And I probably wouldn't watch it again.) It's a French film about three siblings who upon their mother's death, inherit her country house, which is filled with personal memories and tons of valuable collectibles/paintings. The movie essentially asks the question: "what makes a work of art museum-worthy and when is it just a work of art?" It also looks at the differences between generations. To the mother, all of the works in the house were valuable. To some of the siblings (and their children) it was just a house filled with memories. Like I said, it's a very slow movie with no real "drama," but it does raise some interesting points. I imagine someone who's into art would enjoy this movie most.

No comments: