Thursday, October 22, 2009

Disney's "movie cloud" looking to replace DVDs

I'm really torn about Disney's new Keychest technology. In a nutshell, the technology lets you buy your Disney media once and stream it from any device as many times as you want, whether it's from your smartphone, iPod, laptop, etc. You don't own the media, but rather the "privilege" to stream it.

With so many movie-playing devices, the concept sounds very cool. So for example, I can buy Beauty & the Beast and then stream it from my cable box at home, from my smartphone when I'm on the go, from my laptop if I'm in another country, from my cousin's computer if I'm babysitting in PA, etc.

Yet the thought of not "owning" the physical media weirds me out. But I don't know why. I'm totally fine with streaming Netflix from my Roku. (Aside from Kung Fu Hustle, I can't remember the last DVD I bought). However, on the flip side, I'm not ok with paying a monthly fee to stream my music. I want to own that. Forever.

So a few things strike me about Disney's Keychest. 1)What's the price per movie? If the movie is in "the cloud," I expect it to be cheaper 2)What happens to the media if the consumer/owner dies? Can you pass the rights to your children or someone else? 3)Will there be ads anywhere in the stream? I mean, it sounds like Disney is gonna lose money with this pay-once-view-as-many-times-as-you-want plan.

I dunno. On paper this is what everyone wants. The ability to buy something once and play it from anywhere as many times as you want. So has Disney nailed down the right distribution model? I guess we'll find out more next month when it debuts.

No comments: