Monday, October 26, 2009

Watch Update Part III

So remember that watch that I broke and later replaced? Well, I replaced it again. The last watch that I got was called the Seapearl. Awesome watch. But after a week of wearing it I noticed the bracelet was flimsy. It would unclasp on its own. And because it was a heavy watch, I was afraid it would come undone and fall off my hand without me even noticing.

So I took it back to the Tourneau store on 34th street Saturday morning. According to policy, they don't take back watches that 1)have been worn and 2)have been sold on sale. My watch fit into both categories so I was afraid they'd reject me.

But lo and behold — they were very accommodating. I told them the problem and they quickly offered me an exchange. I exchanged it for the Victorinox Swiss Army watch in the picture above. Same price, warranty, etc. The difference is, this watch has an additional secure clasp so it won't come undone so easily.

Here's the scary part. I wore the Seapearl watch for a week straight before bringing it back. It was in excellent condition, but I managed to make one minor scratch on the bracelet. Most ppl won't notice it, but watch geeks probably would (I guess I'm a watch geek, 'cause I noticed it.) It concerned me a little that they took the watch back and will probably sell it as new again. Maybe with a steeper discount...I hope?

Overall, here's what I learned:

1)Tourneau has a silent policy regarding trade-ins and exchanges. However, if you're good at haggling, you can haggle the price of your trade-in and the price you're willing to pay for a new watch.
2)Look at every detail of the watch you're buying. Bracelet, clasp, etc. Look for any signs it's been worn or look for scratches.
3)If you're in the NYC area, the store on 34th street has excellent customer support. They helped me pick a new watch, took care of my trade-in, and then allowed me to make an exchange. The store near Central Park inside Columbus Mall — not as friendly.

No comments: