Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gazelle Update

Quick update to a story I did a few weeks ago on Gazelle. I've used the service about 3x since then to clear out my gadget closet and in all, I've made about $500 total. Most recently, I sold two old smartphones and an old laptop (we're talking Core Solo here). In all instances, I had the original packaging and the hardware was in perfect condition. (I'm nice to my gadgets.) So here's what's up:

1) The service has gotten faster. Way faster. On average, I was paid about 2 weeks after sending in my gadgets (compared to the 26 days it took the first time I did it.) And that's via snail mail, I imagine being paid via PayPal is even faster.

2) Gazelle is good with coupons. Over the summer I used a $10 bonus coupon (now expired) and most recently I used the "tweet" coupon I found on their Twitter feed for an extra 5%.

3) Gazelle has expanded its category tree, meaning they're buying back more stuff. From calculators to iPod docks to satellite radios.

4) Unfortunately, they still don't beat out eBay. In some instances, they get damn close, but eBay still provides the biggest bang for your buck.

That said, I still recommend checking eBay before selling your stuff to Gazelle. Otherwise, if you're lazy or don't mind losing a few dollars to Gazelle, the service has improved.

No comments: