Friday, November 6, 2009

Roku Netflix Player now with 802.11n

At the start of the year I did a feature on home-movie streamers reviewing everything from the Roku Netflix Player to the Vudu box. Since then, there have been tons of firmware updates to the players I reviewed and even a few new players.

I've been working on a follow up to that piece, and this afternoon I got the new Roku XR Player from the folks at Roku. The main difference between the XR Player and the previous player (now called the HD Player) is that the XR comes with 802.11n, whereas the previous player had 802.11g.

I never had any streaming issues with the older player, so I'm curious if the XR is worth the $29 upgrade. (They look exactly the same, minus the "XR" label.) I have some HD and non-HD movies queued up for the weekend so I'll give the XR a little test and have some feedback next week.

No comments: