Friday, November 6, 2009

The smell of a new (e)book

Last month I decided to get back into the habit of reading. I'm not sure why I stopped, but so far I've read:

A Spot of Bother
19 Minutes
The Mole People

I'm currently re-reading Drown by Junot Diaz. I admit, there's a nice sense of accomplishment in seeing the new books I've read join my bookshelf, and it makes me wonder — what do you feel when you finish reading an e-book? I imagine it's anti-climactic 'cause you just load up another book and continue.

This got me thinking. Since I'm not an avid reader (yet), would it be easy for me to adjust to reading on an e-book reader? I don't want one, but at the same time I'm kinda curious. If I were to get one (and that's a big *if*), I'd go with the Barnes & Noble Nook. It has the best features IMO. e-book readers still have a long way to go (the technology/DRM issue, the pricing, the hardware), but I wonder if I'm drawn to the Nook because it's a shiny new gadget or if I really think I can adjust to reading on an LCD? I think I'll play around with the Kindle app on my iPod before delving any further into this e-book reader business. Although I admit, lately I've been very curious.

No comments: