Friday, January 15, 2010

It's a trap! (Sorta)

Starting Monday, Verizon Wireless will offer a new set of Unlimited Calling and Texting plans. (You can check out the details here.) While the new plans lower the price of unlimited calling and texting, you should check your current plan closely before making the jump. Here's why.

I've been a Verizon customer for a long time now (probably over 10 years). I'm currently on a family plan and we pay $150 (including taxes & surcharges) for 700 combined minutes and unlimited texting with 5MB of data. In the past few years, I cannot remember a single time we went over our minutes. We don't even come close to it. I text more than I call, but I'd still say I give my phone light to moderate use. (I don't have a landline.)

Now let's look at the new family plan. $149.99 for unlimited text and calling. That doesn't include the surcharges and taxes. And there's the catch.

If you've never gone over your minutes, this new plan will cost you more per month. Remember, Verizon offers free nights, free weekends, and free Verizon-to-Verizon calls. So depending on when and how often you make calls, you might not need the "unlimited" part. It's really just a play on words — who doesn't like "unlimited."

However, if you're just barely making it under your allowance, then obviously this plan is great and it will save you money.

Personally, I wish it were truly "unlimited" and included data as well.

No comments: