Thursday, January 21, 2010

A word of advice

Guard your credit cards. Seriously. Guard them as if your life depended on them. I recently had my debit card number stolen (how, I have no clue) and the schmuck who stole it went on a $1,300 shopping spree at their local Walgreens. Luckily my bank (Chase) managed to flag it, but the damage was already done and now I have to set up a new account, fill out paperwork describing the fraudulent charges, and transfer all of my bills to my new account.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. But it is a major inconvenience. And for what it's worth, I thought I was doing a pretty good job guarding my card. I would never use it at shady stores (both online and on the street). I would steer clear of street-side ATM machines. I would always enter a random sequence of numbers upon finishing a withdrawal from an ATM. I was very careful with it. But not careful enough. So guard your cards, folks. You can never be too paranoid/careful.

No comments: