Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend Picks #4

Under the Munka Moon Selection by Alice Russell
Bluesy, jazzy, soulful. This CD is awesome. It's from a UK-based performer by the name of Alice Russell. I discovered her this weekend via Slacker. Her voice instantly got me. Classier than Winehouse, better than Joss Stone. To be honest, they're not even in Russell's league. (They just happen to be two other UK "soul" singers.) But Russell has such a stronger voice, She pours her heart out in almost every song on this CD. My personal favorite songs are Sweet is the Air, which has a gorgeous bossa nova-like sway and Hurry On Now, which sounds like the kind of song you would've heard back in the 60s inside a smoke-filled jazz club in Harlem.

Like Stars on Earth
It's not often I watch the same movie twice within a 2-week timespan. In fact, it's not often I watch the same movie twice within a month. But I watched Like Stars on Earth again this past weekend. I thought maybe this time around I'd like it less or it'd feel "less special," but man was I wrong. If anything I liked it more. Brilliant movie. It's not a nail-biter and it's not a thriller, it's just an excellently written, excellently shot Bollywood film about childhood.

No comments: