Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The $1 million dollar comic

Every kid dreams of one day selling their comic book(s) for a million bucks, and I guess, well, sometimes it happens. The first Action Comics book (which features Super Man's debut) recently sold for $1m on ComicConnection. That's $1,000,000. Pretty crazy, huh.

I myself have a massive comic book collection from back in the day, so I visited the site out of curiosity. To be honest, I was both intrigued and turned off by the site. I was intrigued because I saw two Spider-Man comics that I think I own up for auction. (This one and this one.) But I was turned off 'cause, well, the site comes across as a little snooty.

On their "welcome" page they require buyers have a minimum of $10,000 to invest for a personal consultation. Click a little further to their "Why Sell" page, and you'll find a huge rant against eBay. While I agree with everything they say about eBay, it's not very professional on their part to trash them as openly as they do. (In fact, it just makes me wonder if eBay is a viable alternative.)

The other turn off, unless I'm reading this wrong, they charge a minimum of $100 to "grade" your comics. Seriously? $100. I think a trip to the doctor costs less than that. (I think.) Another "of note," ComicConnection takes 10% from each of your sales. (How eBay of them.) So they're getting $100k out of that $1m deal. I don't know if 10% is high or low when it comes to comic books, but it feels high to me.

I'm still curious what a few of my old comics can fetch. Like every other kid, I have "that issue where Venom kills Spider-Man" and that "collector's issue" which has "collector's issue" written all over it. But I also have some 60-cent and 50-cent comics that might be interesting to sell. Stay tuned!

No comments: