Monday, March 8, 2010

Weekend Picks #6

My weekend picks....

Bolivia
By now it's probably obvious that I'm a huge foreign movie fan. That wasn't always the case, but lately Hollywood has just turned me off. That said, this Argentine film is amazing. It's not a heavy "action" film, but boy is it tense. To better understand the movie, it helps to know a bit about South American culture. You see, Argentineans are generally stereotyped as being elitists and racist. With that in mind, this movie is about a dark-skinned Bolivian immigrant who finds work as a cook in a diner outside Buenos Aires. The majority of the movie takes place inside this diner. You see the same cast of characters come in and out and you learn how many of them are unemployed or struggling to make ends meet (this movies takes place after the collapse of Argentina's economy). And that's where the tension starts. It slowly builds from the very first scene to the end. To be honest, this would make a great play 'cause within those 70 minutes you learn so much about each character. An easy comparison is Do The Right Thing, except Bolivia (in my opinion) is tighter and goes straight to the subject matter without wasting time. Again, this isn't a fast-paced action movie. But pretty brilliant if you stick with it. Definitely recommended. In Spanish w/ subtitles.
Streamable on Netflix.

Ikiru
For the third straight weekend I tried watching this movie and fell asleep 10 minutes in. I really want to see it (it has amazing reviews), but I usually start it late and next thing you know I'm asleep. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll finally watch it.

No comments: